Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why can't I just be a Martha?

God has spoken very clearly me to me over the last week. He used my precious friend mamaduck and my wonderful husband. His Word is falling on my like a brick wall, and I must say I DO NOT LIKE IT. Friday night I even acted like a child about the whole thing.

If you don't know the story of Martha and her sister Mary I will briefly explain. Jesus and his crew (possible 70+) show up at Martha's house in Bethany. Martha lives up to her name she is a real Martha Stewart (can I get a Go Martha?) She is in the kitchen preparing a feast, only the best for The Messiah! Martha realizes she can't find her sister Mary anywhere. Scripture tells us Martha finds her at the feet of Jesus. Now I am not saying I wouldn't want to sit at the feet of Jesus, but I can relate to Martha, if Jesus is at my house I would want everything to be perfect.

The story continues with an angry Martha. This is the conversation between Martha and Jesus in Luke 10: "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Can you imagine being Martha? I couldn't believe it at first. How could Jesus respond like this to a woman that is killing herself to prepare a feast for Him? Well, God has convicted me. Yes, it hurts in the most painful way. I love being a Martha. I love having parties, pampering people, making them feel special. If you know me and you have been to my house, you know what I am saying. I LOVE TO SPOIL PEOPLE!

After having my baby fit telling my husband I don't want to be a Mary, I like being Martha! Yes, I acted like a big baby. God has shown me what it means to be a Mary. I love it. I have spent more time at the feet of Jesus in the last week. I am so glad God commanded me to sit at His Son's feet. There is not place I would rather be.

OH, I will always be a Martha. God didn't create me any other way. But, with His help I am going to find the balance between the two. But, most importantly I am going to spend all the time I NEED at the feet of my Precious Savior.

To all those Martha's out there, try being a Mary and sit at the feet of Jesus, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Tennessee Mama Duck said...

Good girl. I'm proud of you...and excited to hear all that He is going to teach you as you sit at His feet.

I love you, friend.